Do you want to improve your performance as an athlete? You can use visualization to help get you there. This article details a visualization strategy.
Your mind does NOT know the difference between a vividly imagined picture and reality…. and the “Visualization of your Ideal Performance” is how you can accomplish your desired reality.
Here’s how you do it:
- Close your eyes and inhale slowly through your nostrils for a count of 4…..pause for a count of 6…and exhale slowly for a count of 8. Do this 3 times. The slower you’re breathing the more relaxed brain wave state you create. You want to slow down your brain to get into an alpha, visual, right brain state – the best place to be for effective visualization.
- Imagine that you have a built-in personal movie screen 6 inches in front of your forehead where your brain projects visual images! This is the movie screen of your mind….and whatever your mind can perceive and you truly believe….you can achieve! So….create the perfect panoramic picture of you in your authentic game-time gear.
- See yourself in living color as if you are watching yourself on video.
- See yourself practicing with perfect rhythm, tempo, timing, technique, breathing, etc. See the perfect you! As you “see” yourself your brain is sending perfect neural-electrical contractions of your perfect, specific technique to your “Gut” or muscle memory center! Now your mind and body know what perfect technique looks like for you!
- Practice this last thing at night and first thing in the morning while your brain is in a relaxed “alpha” state.
“Visualizing” the perfect race/game in your head is actually training your brain for the perfect execution in your upcoming competition…see yourself on your movie screen performing each part of your sport perfectly…as if you are doing it! Your mind actually thinks you are doing it and will replicate this in real life.
Another way to Visualize is “seeing through your own eyes;” as if you are actually on the field playing your sport! See what you see “as if” you are actually performing in real time and real life! This is the way to “imprint” the deepest and most accurate muscle memory….visualizing exactly as you see it while you are actually performing! Keep the same rhythm, tempo and timing that you want..and the exact, perfect end-result that you want!
Some athletes like to break down their moves and performance into “Thirds!” First see the “beginning” of your move, then the “middle” of your move, and then the perfect “ending” of the move! This creates a deeper imprintation!
• always see and feel the exact experience that you want and the exact winning result
• always be 100% positive and trusting during each visualization session
• always imprint the “Winning Feeling” that you want
That’s it!!! This is Step 1 in improving your performance as an athlete!