Are you feeling a bit nervous about cold calling college coaches? Cold calling people can be stressful. You fear getting rejected or not knowing what to say. It is not an easy thing to do but the positives of cold calling far out weigh the negatives so don’t be afraid.
One positive of cold calling coaches is that the Coaches find it refreshing when the athletes themselves call. Multiple coaches I have talked to say they love when they get a call directly from the high school athlete. They get tired of recruiting agencies and parents calling them because they can’t tell if the actual athlete is in fact interested in their program. When they hear directly from you it enables the coaches to get to know you better, build some rapport and find out what you actually want. Also, it holds a lot of weight with coaches when they are called directly by the student-athlete. First, not many athletes are doing it and it shows them that playing college athletics is something you are taking seriously.
HOW DO I MAKE COLD CALLING COACHES NOT SO SCARY? HAVE SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT!
Before calling any college coach make sure you have a purpose for the call. Don’t just call them up, tell them who you are and ask if they are interested. A purpose could be many things:
- You could simply introduce yourself (who you are, what you play, where your from) and then say, “Coach, I would love to be a part of your program and wanted to ask what steps I can take to get noticed by your staff and get on your recruiting list?” Then let the coach tell you about how the process works. He or She could tell you to contact their recruiting coordinator, send a video, attend a camp, fill out a recruiting questionnaire etc. Take notes on what they say, thank them for their time and do the things they mentioned. If you think the call is going well ask if you can send over a recruiting profile or highlight video. Take down their email address. Lots of things can happen from one simple call. The worst thing that could happen is they are a bit cold over the phone and say they are not interested. Rejection like that is not fun but its not the end of the world either. There are plenty of other coaches to call.
- Campus Visit: If you are going to check out the campus anyway that is a great reason to cold call a coach. When the coach picks up the phone simply introduce yourself and then say, “I will be visiting the campus on May 25th and was wondering if you or a member of your coaching staff would have some time to meet?” If they have the time and want to meet you that’s great. Take down the time and thank them. You could also ask them if you can send a profile or video over prior so they get a chance to get to know you better. If they don’t have time to meet you can then ask the same question from the 1st bullet: “What steps I can take to get noticed by your staff and get on your recruiting list?”. Just by using the Campus Visit as a purpose to call can open up different discussions, give you more information about the recruiting process and build rapport.
Other Purposes for Cold Calling a College Coach Could Include:
- You are attending a prospect camp or tournament the coach is also attending. You want to know if the coach will have some time to speak to you during the camp. Maybe he or she can speak with you but this could also trigger them to take a closer look at you during the camp.
- You checked out their roster and know that they are graduating a certain amount of players at your position and you want to tell them you are interested in replacing those players.
- You read a quote or saw a video from the coach. You can tell the coach how you heard about them and wanted to reach out. This can be a great conversation starter. Also, it can sometimes flatter the coach and also gives them the impression that you have a genuine interest.
Don’t fear cold calling coaches. Try to embrace it and have fun with it. You will be separating yourself from the pack because there are so few high school athletes doing it. When you think about it – it’s just a phone call. The worst thing they can say is their not interested but on the flip side it can open up a world of possibilities.
Have a PURPOSE and pick up the PHONE! Good luck!