Describe the qualities that your program is looking for in a potential student-athlete?
- A Good Kid—Good Heart…Good Teammate
- Wants to attend a Christian College—Serious about his faith.
- A Mature Kid—both on and off the field.
- Has a Growth Mentality—believes he can get better through hard work.
- A Good Student—Is responsible on his own to get good grades…doesn’t need my help
- High Level Technically—Must have a high level of skill….handle the ball under pressure.
- Athleticism—Needs to be fast enough to play at our level combined with a certain level of strength.
- Style of Play—Must be able to play our style of play…quality ball movement on the ground.
- System of Play—Must be able to play one of our positions in the 4-3-3 formation.
Could you give us an example of a current or former player who exceeded your expectations, highlighting the reasons that player excelled?
We reluctantly added a player late in the recruiting process and questioned where on the field he would be able to play for us….we were unsure of his positional fit.
In the fall of freshmen year he bounced around and did not have a positional home—it was not until the spring of his sophomore year that he had the opportunity to play left back.
He ended up being more athletic than we thought, and in addition to being an excellent defender, he developed an excellent ability to connect passes out of the back.
In the end, he was the starting left back for his remaining three years winning NCAA National Championships every year—2008, 2009, 2010.