Describe the qualities that your program is looking for in a potential student-athlete?
The qualities our program is looking for in a potential recruit are:
1. Work rate, mental toughness, and competitiveness/psychological dimension – one of the first things that catches our eye is the psychological dimension or lack thereof
2. How a player treats her teammates, parents, coaches, etc. How a player treats others.
4. Physical abilities – speed, quickness, agility, strength, explosiveness
5. Overall and functional technical ability under pressure – passing, receiving, dribbling, heading, finishing, tackling- overall ability to perform these skills and the skills she needs to play a specific position at a high level
6. Overall and functional tactical ability under pressure – decision-making and her level of reading the game overall and in a specific position
7. Does she have an extraordinary quality, ie, serving, heading, finishing, 1v1 ability, etc. or is she very good at everything?
Could you give an example of a current or former player who exceeded your expectations, highlighting the reasons that player excelled?
I can think of a few off the top of my head…Lissa Mansberry played for me at Clemson. I remember meeting with her after her first season and we told her we didn’t know if she would get the playing time she wanted at Clemson. She refused to believe that and through the summer, worked incredibly hard on her fitness level, which also improved her psychological dimension. She came back her 2nd year a different player because her level of commitment was extraordinary. She was our 12th player for the most part and came in off the bench and changed the game for us. She went onto to score a lot of huge goals for us and helped us make the NCAA playoffs every year she was there, one being the first year of the program’s existence. She was amazing.
Lindsay Massengale was another player. We had a similiar meeting with her after her 2nd year of college in which she didn’t play a lot. We tried her in a new position, and she went onto be making all ACC as a defender (her new position) and playing in both professional leagues in the US. She was always ultra competitive and was willing to outwork anyone. She was persistent in her pursuit and was committed to excellence and to achieving her goals on a daily basis. I used to play her in soccer squash daily in the off season. She stayed after practice all the time, working on her game with us or on her own. She was a complete self made player.