Describe the qualities that your program is looking for in a potential student-athlete?
1. Athletic ability and talent- I want good athletes as opposed to kids who have just taken numerous lessons
2. Competitiveness- kids who will fight on the court and who work hard both on and off the court
3. Solid Academics- I have found that good academics usually makes for good players
4. A Team person- tennis is such an individual sport so I look for someone who understands the value of team first.
5. Work ethic- someone who understands that you must work hard to gain positive results
6. Solid moral character
Could you give an example of a current or former player who exceeded your expectations, highlighting the reasons that player excelled?
I had a former player on one of my first teams give up a portion of her scholarship in order to grow the program. At that point we had 1 scholarship and she gave up a portion so as to be able to recruit and grow the team.
Last year my graduating senior captain gave up her entire scholarship to be able to use it to recruit a player who would make a difference.
Another one of my players who was a walk-on and never competed until her senior year when she played #6. She never missed a practice and hung around. She made the most of her opportunity her senior year.