Describe the qualities that your program is looking for in a potential student-athlete?
· Good demeanor on and off the court
· Hard working on the court and in the classroom
· Loyal to the program
· Good, honest teammate
· Positive attitude
· Coachable; can take constructive criticism and apply it
· Puts the team first, self second
· We’d love a really good athlete who also has good volleyball skill, but honestly most of the time, we would take a slightly lesser player who has a phenomenal attitude and work ethic compared to a stud player who has a bad attitude and could potentially be a cancer on our team.
Could you give us an example of a current or former player who exceeded your expectations, highlighting the reasons that player excelled?
One of our most recent graduates, a 4 year starting MH, exceeded my expectations on more than one occasion, but one instance in particular really impressed me. She was a sophomore MH for us at the time and we had a high school senior MH come for a tryout so she came to a MH individual session. The high school player was playing really well and catching on really quickly to everything we were doing and I could tell she elevated the level of play of my sophomore player. At the end of the session, we asked the high school senior how she liked it and that is when our sophomore MH said to her, “You have to come here. You are good, we need you.” That high school senior verbally committed to us that same day and she is now a current sophomore on our team and started for us this past season. My player knew that this soon-to-be freshman might come in and take her spot or at least some of her playing time, but she was able to see the bigger picture and put the team first and herself second. That player was a captain for us for 2 years and will always be one of my favorites.