If you have attended a showcase or prospect camp hosted by a specific university and program that you may want to play for in college make sure to follow up with the coaching staff after the conclusion of the camp. Why? Well, you have met the coaches personally and they have probably scouted your ability during the camp. Now is your chance to build upon that initial relationship and show your respect and appreciation for their program. It can put you in a more positive light when it comes to your character and how you are as a person – something highly valued by college coaches.
After the camp, you can send a concise email to all the coaches and staff you met. It could include things like:
- Thanking them for their time and invitation to participate in the camp
- The experience and what you got out of it (facilities, information, the competition from the other prospects)
- What you liked about the program’s vision and where they want to be (shows you were listening at the camp)
- What you are going to do over the next 12 months to improve physically, mentally and educationally (your plan to get better)
- That you would love to be a part of their program and ask for advice on what you can do to get there
If talent-wise you are neck and neck with other recruits sometimes it is doing little things like this that give you the edge and the eventual offer.
Do you know which college coaches you should be contacting? GCA has partnered with Playced. Playced has a “Matching Engine.” The “Matching Engine” is a technology that provides a targeted list of colleges & teams based on the athletic and academic information you provide. This can save you a lot of time and confusion. Learn more about our partnership and discount here: Playced / GCA Partnership – 10% Discount
Related articles to help you in your recruiting process: